Publishing as an independent author can be hard work, frustrating, and may, at times, feel like a pointless exercise, especially if sales and reviews are hard to come by. Our publishing co-operative seeks authors who share a common interest (science fiction and fantasy), who have produced quality books, but are, perhaps, having trouble getting noticed.
Our goal is to help independent authors by offering their book(s) a ‘home’. We do not ask for printing rights or a cut of the royalties and creative control remains with the author.
How it works
The first step is for the author to submit their finished manuscript. We will consider previously published books that adhere to our ethical and quality guidelines. Your book should be:
- Science fiction or fantasy (no erotica)
- Well written and engaging
- Be edited to a professional standard
- Contains no hate or promotion of racism, xenophobia, homophobia or rape/pedophilia
** Please allow up to eight weeks for a response.
If a manuscript submission is successful, we will enter into negotiations with the author. While some manuscripts will be ‘ready to go’, others may require additional editing or a cover design. While we have a small team of service providers available, the author is free to hire service providers elsewhere. Authors will be notified if additional work is required before a contract is issued.
Once a manuscript is ready to be published, we will issue a contract which details the terms and conditions of joining our co-operative, as well as detailing our fee structure. If you would like to read a sample of our contract, please click here.
If a manuscript submission is unsuccessful, you will be notified in writing. We may feel that it requires further development or editing, or it may be that it is not what we are looking for at the moment.
There are, unfortunately, costs involved in co-operative publishing and while we pass these onto the author, we do try to keep them to a minimum. Our fees include:
- The puchase, allocation, and registration or ISBNs
- The legal deposit in the five libraries of the United Kingdom
- Monthly/yearly administration fee
The author will receive:
- Registeration of your ISBN with Nielsen Titles (UK) * One ISBN is required per book format
- A book and author page on Bolide Publishing website
- The book will be added to our store
- Book promotion on our website and through social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), but we ask that the author, too, engages in promotion of both their own and others books (through shares and retweets)
- New releases will be featured in our newsletters
- An invitation to submit guest posts
- Access to our closed Facebook group where authors can network, ask advice, and support one another