Service Agreement (terms and conditions)
Bolide Publishing Limited (a company incorporated in Scotland and registered under number SC541910 whose registered office is at 272, Bath Street, Glasgow, G2 4JR)
<Author Name> (independent author)
These terms and conditions apply to any work done on behalf of the Author by Bolide Publishing Limited.
- We will provide the requested services agreed upon (in writing) by Bolide Publishing and the Author.
- The Author is under no obligation to offer Bolide Publishing work; neither are we under any obligation to accept work offered by the Author.
- The work will be carried out by Bolide Publishing.
- The contract of service requires that both Bolide Publishing and the Author acknowledge, in writing, that we have read, understood and agreed to these terms and condition
Prior to commencement of any work, Bolide Publishing and the Author will agree, in writing, to the terms of the project:
- the work required
- the fee for the project, based on our evaluation of the material
- the time frame required to complete the job, including the date the material will be returned to the author
For editing projects:
- the date by which the author will complete and return their own edits.
- the time frame required by Bolide Publishing to perform their final edits.
- A quotation will be provided after a sample has been evaluated and after discussing the requested service(s) with the Author.
- Fees are charged per word, OR per hour, OR for an agreed flat fee.
- Once the fee has been agreed, it is non-negotiable unless the Client extends the word count or requests additional services. Should this occur, a revised quotation and completion date(s) will be negotiated.
- A non-refundable booking fee of £250 is required to reserve a place on my schedule.
- Unless otherwise agreed, the Author agrees to pay half the remaining balance after the completion of the first round of edits. The remaining balance is due upon completion of the work. Manuscripts will be returned after the scheduled installment has been received.
- Increases in pricing occurs on 1st January each year at a rate of 5%. You will be informed of this in writing.
Delays and Rescheduling
- Bolide Publishing should be notified as soon as it becomes apparent that there will be a delay in submitting your manuscript.
- We reserve the right to terminate the contract if there is a delay in excess of seven days. The current contract will be terminated, and your non-returnable deposit will be forfeited.
- Either party may terminate this agreement.
- The initial payment is non-returnable.
- In the event of cancellation, no further fees will be incurred if the request is received 30 days before the project is due to commence.
- If work has commenced, you will be invoiced for the work completed to date and the manuscript will be returned.
- If there are extenuating circumstances preventing Bolide Publishing from commencing the project on the date agreed, we will contact you in writing at the earliest opportunity and renegotiate the time frame. Should the Author choose to go elsewhere, the booking fee will be refunded.
- If it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than anticipated from the sample, we may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline or decline to carry out the work.
- We are happy to share your book on our website once it is published (with a link to the listing on Amazon via an affiliate link that allows us to earn a small commission per sale and does not reduce the sum you will receive in royalties). Please confirm you are happy for us to do this during the booking process.
- Bolide Publishing is unable to leave reviews for your book(s) on Amazon or elsewhere as this is deemed a conflict of interest and is strictly forbidden.
- Bolide Publishing welcomes reviews and feedback of its editing and other services. Reviews can be left on our website or Facebook page.
- Bolide Publishing will keep all work confidential and will not share it with anyone other than its contractors.
- All content supplied by the Author is owned by the Author.
- Following payment of all invoices, any content created by Bolide Publishing will become the copyright of the Author unless otherwise agreed.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of Scotland, and both the Author and Bolide Publishing agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the Scottish courts.
Personal data and GDPR
Bolide Publishing only asks for the personal information we require to allow us to do the work we have been hired to do. This includes your:
- Email address
- Personal and/or Pen name
- Book name, content, and word count
Only essential information is shared with the service providers we subcontract to, all of whom have signed a confidentiality agreement. The information Bolide Publishing shares with them is limited to your name and book content (where applicable). They are not provided with your email address.
Software and websites we use to store your data:
Cloud drive. Password protected
Email delivery system. Password protected
Online payment processor. Password protected
Webhost. EU based servers. Password protected
Hosted by Ionus. Password protected. Hidden from search engines.
- A client portal is available for authors to view their current and upcoming schedule, view progress made, and make payments.
- The payment processor used is Payment
- For those paying via BACS, you can notify Bolide Publishing of a payment via BACS, if you wish.
- You can access your dashboard here (login required): https://clientportal.bolidepublishing.com
No guarantees are made as to the saleability or marketability of the edited manuscript.
Developmental editing involves two rounds of editing:
- The editor will read your manuscript as a reader and make notes.
- The editor will re-read your manuscript and provide an editorial report summarising key areas such as narrative voice (pov), characterisation, plot, pace, setting, description etc
- The author will make amendments to their manuscript
- The editor will perform a final edit including marking up the manuscript to highlight any further areas of concern
The full process can take a minimum of four months. In the event that further rounds are required, they will be offered at a discounted rate.